Friday, June 20, 2008

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

I went to the doctors yesterday. She was running behind so my wait in the waiting room was about an hour. Last Saturday when I got the mail I had three get well cards from friends from work who became my friends out side of work. As I opened them one by one I started to cry. In one of them they had put a pink bracelet with the word SURVIVOR. Their kindness and concern touched me deeply. The ones who didn't send cards called me and wished me the best, some even came to the hospital to see me. Toni thanks for putting lip balm on my lips when I couldn't move my arms at all and coming to my house and washing my hair. I love you. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

I even got a very cute post card from a very wonderful person this week! Thank you!


As I am waiting a young girl comes in and sits down next to me. She reminds me of my daughter Ricki. She has on the same bandanna that Ricki wore when she was bald and she had it tied the same way with the tip tucked in the back...white and black bandanna. She says so your a SURVIVOR. She saw my bracelet. I said no I'm not. You have to be cancer free for 5 years before you can be a SURVIVOR. She laughed. I asked her how old she was. She replied 25. She is done with Chemo and is now going to have both her breast removed and re-construction at the same time. I told her I just went through that and showed her my new boobs.
She laughed again and said very nice. I told her DR. Melissa is the best! She asked me about the pain, did it hurt much? I said the emotional pain is worse then the physical pain, for me anyway. They called her name and her and her mom walked away.

Brief encounters can touch your heart deeply.

I'm taking pain pills because the pain at the surgery sight under my arms is still very painful and I have things to do that require me using my arms.


I didn't sleep well last night because I have to sleep flat on my back, on my sides is just to painful. Why am I writing this? Because I smile a lot and I laugh a lot and I have an exterior way of acting because if I act it I will be it, happy. I am
really trying to make the best of my life and to be happy but sometimes it just gets really hard to smile and laugh. I go back to the DR.'s September 18, 2008. I have to have another MRI in November, November is when I was diagnosed, to see that the cancer hasn't metastasized anywhere else. You see I never have to have another mammogram and that's good but once a year I have to have an MRI to check and see if cancer has come back anywhere in my chest area, neck and head area. Usually if breast cancer metastasized it comes back in the brain, so if you see me doing something strange like wearing underwear on my head to work just take me aside and say Houston we have a problem... And I will deal with it the best way I can with a smile.

I finished my first oil painting today. I'm calling it Amy's Darkness

I am also working on a quilt for my new grand- daughter . I haven't sewed in ages and I am enjoying this. My son bummed me out with a phone call telling me that his kid didn't matter to me. It hurt me. You see before I got cancer I told him I would come out and help but then my life was turned upside down and now he and his wife are mad at me for not coming out. He is a spoiled brat and I am hoping he will get over it when he gets the quilt.



8 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

i have a package coming your way...it's a 'care package'...just for you...hope you enjoy it and know that I think of you all the time and light candles and say prayers to the goddess for you ...she loves you almost as much as I do...tell your son...
cancer...asshole...i had cancer..deal with it...or i could just come smack him..ha

Anonymous said...

Gotta go with Granny on this one ... your son needs a cosmic 2x4upside the head for that attitude.

Kelly

PS I love the new painting!!

billy pilgrim said...

beautiful painting. i can almost hear the raven whispering in your ear.

sorry to hear that your son hasn't grown up. i'm sure it's not to late for him to grow into a man.

Nit Wit said...

Kids can be such selfish shits sometimes. I've been having problems with one of mine for a few weeks, but not with all your other problems.
Sometimes trying to help then brings nothing but heartache. Love the painting and glad you've been able to get back to it. Have you settled on the final nipple placement yet? :)

tsduff said...

I am so sorry - I commented on this blog entry and my computer froze yet one more time, and the comment is gone forever. Tonight, I bought my very first laptop, and I'm so happy to come back here to tell you that first of all, your picture is fabulous. I love it - with the wild woman with her dark hair sitting watching the even wilder seas raging -with a raven above. I don't understand the significance of the raven with lightning coming out of it, but as a whole it is one amazing piece of work.
Secondly, I wanted to say how much I admire that you sew. I just found out yesterday a.m. that I am to be a grandma for the second time - my youngest (my only son) and his lovely bride of 6 years are finally pregnant! I'm so happy, but I should be sewing or making quilts or some dang thing like that... only I don't sew. Thanks for all of your great inspirations - and I think those stickon nipples are hilarious. PS They look pretty good - nobody that I've known has gotten to actually choose where they should go - so the best of luck to you both! :)

McRaven said...

Jackie I was telling my sister Lee about it and since she lives close by him and she's gone through what I have she told me she was going to go have a talk with him. I was dumbfounded by his careless remarks. I love you to. You are always in my heart and thoughts. :) I can't sleep again tonight but I won't call you. Hugs to you my sister!

Kelly thank you for all your positive feed back it is greatly appreciated.

Awww my Leo bear. You are a gem and I sure hope the lovely Mrs. Leo knows how lucky she is to have you.

nitwit you do your best to raise such fine human beings and every once in a while you think who raised that dumb shit? Then they get on track again. I was thinking of having a place the nipples contest. People could print out a picture of me and the one who draws the best nipples wins and I will take that picture to the doc and say I want these...

Terry thank you for all the great things you say and yeah for the lap top. :)

Nit Wit said...

Sorry you’re not sleeping but that contest sounds like it could maybe get out of hand in a fun way.
I hit my stumble button he other day and up pops this little story with picture of a woman who had surgery to make the areola's of her breasts heart shaped. It she actually pulled the look off but then double D's are a bit much for my taste. I hope you managed to get some rest. It's an important part of healing.
Maybe TD could try crocheting, I understand the basics are kind of easy to learn and you can make some nice baby blankets.
I hope the infection is clearing up.

Mouthy Girl said...

I think creating is one of the best forms of therapy - you're doing it with both painting and quilting.

I am so very proud of you and must say to screw the rules. You're a survivor in every sense of the word. No one can go through what you have and are and still plug along without being a SURVIVOR!