Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Life In General

I am getting as much work in as possible before my surgery date. I’m going to do 6 shifts in five days. We need the cash. Bruce is receiving disability but they want out of a $383.00 check a week a $100.00 for medical insurance so that leaves us with $283.00 a week. He’s out of work until October 10th. With gas prices so high, and the monthly bills of electricity, cable, and phone, rent, food and medicines, we are barely getting by. I was sick the last week of July through three weeks into August and couldn’t work. So we are behind. Just getting by…by the skin of our teeth as mother used to say, she also used to say, you can’t get blood out of a turnip, whatever that means. Mother had some pretty funny sayings.

Still all in all I feel pretty blessed. Zoe is warming up to me, she came to me and head bonked me, it was then I knew she loved me. She would always go to Bruce so this was a major break through. Maybe having the aunt’s here had an effect on her. She stole my sisters Shirley watch and hid it on her which made me laugh. Thank Creator it wasn’t big enough to fit down the drain. ;)


The hospital gossip train hit me last night at work when a PCT came and hugged me and was so concerned if I was OK and when was I starting Chemo? This happened twice last night. Huh? That’s news to me. I only told three people what was going on. My boss, my sister-in-law and my brother-in-law, who both work at the same hospital. It’s funny how the story changes as the gossip moves from person to person.

The RN I was working with kept checking on me every half hour, asking did I need anything, was I OK, did I want a break? It was funny because before, I could ring for a nurse and would wait 45 minutes for a response.

I’m working the grave yard shift, which I like for right now because it is quiet. They medicate and sedate, so people pretty much sleep throughout the night. Although last night one of the guys I was with was 99 and put a whole new meaning to the expression ‘dirty old man’. My sister-in-law, who feels she needs to protect me told him to shut the hell up. He did, and the rest of the night was quiet.

That’s it for now. Have a wonderful evening and sweet dreams.

No comments: