Monday, August 7, 2006

Nick Name: C diff or Death Warmed Over

Back date to July 28th and I walk into my primary care offices and collapse. My doctor calls an ambulance and I’m off.


This Blog is mine and I am writing from the dark side. I don’t give a shit if the sun is shining and the birds are singing. I’m near death and I am starting to get mad at stupid shit-holes for brains doctors thinking they know what’s best. I am so fucking sick of being sick I could spit fire and the next person who smiles and says to me you will get better, just give it one more day. Oh yea come here let me spit in your mouth and we will share these magical germs of mine. And when you’re burning up with a 104 fever, but yet you can’t stop the unshakable shakes of the freezing cold, and you have someone sticking you for the third time because your veins are blowing out from the fever and the illness that rages inside of you and yet you crawl out of bed to barely make it to the bathroom just to have this venomous green burning bile flying out your ass then we will talk birds and sunshine.

My primary care doctor stood by my hospital bed and he had his hands folded and the man was crying and he said to me. ” I am truly sorry for what I have put you through. I am thoroughly disgusted by what Dr. Alexander has put you through and I am asking you if you would please let him come see what he has done?” I had four IV’s going, oxygen, I look up and I say sure why not?

The next day Dr. Alexander shows up and won’t even look me in the eyes, that’s when I lose it and I start to cry. What do you want Alexander to finish me off?

He leaves.

I was discharged today because my medical team could not decide what to do. Half my team thought I should stay in the hospital, that I was still way too sick to go home. Not to mention how contagious this stuff is. I was supposed to have a biopsy tomorrow, I couldn’t have it while still in the hospital, that is why other half of team wanted me discharged. Well another fuck up, they discharged me and then the appointment was cancelled.

My three sisters are driving out. They left yesterday. Hey medical team hope you’re eating your Wheaties because some Minnestoa corn fed women are coming out and they ain’t taking names.

My fever and chills call for me to close. I love you guys. Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers. Tomorrow is RJ’s 32 birthday.

Happy Birthday Ricki and I want you to know thoughts of what you went through and the strength you showed got me through this tuff time. Thanks for honoring me with such powerful knowledge, this too shall pass.

Clostridium difficile: An acute inflammation of the INTESTINAL MUCOSA that is characterized by the presence of pseudomembranes or plaques in the SMALL INTESTINE (pseudomembranous enteritis) and the LARGE INTESTINE (pseudomembranous colitis). It is commonly associated with antibiotic therapy and CLOSTRIDIUM DIFFICILE colonization.

Clostridium difficile : causes antibiotic\-induced diarrhea or pseudomembranous colitis in humans; found in the colonic flora in 3% of healthy adults. Mine was caused from this form of antibiotic.

History: C difficile colonization results in a wide spectrum of clinical conditions, including an asymptomatic carrier state, mild self-limited diarrhea, pseudomembranous colitis, and fulminant colitis.
Most patients develop diarrhea during or shortly after starting antibiotics. However, 25-40% of patients may not become symptomatic for as many as 10 weeks after completing antibiotic therapy.
Symptoms often include the following:
Mild-to-moderate watery diarrhea that is rarely bloody
Cramping abdominal pain
Anorexia
Malaise
Fever, especially in more severe cases (me, severly dehydrated, fever 104)
Physical:
Physical examination may reveal the following:
Fever
Dehydration
Lower abdominal tenderness (Fuck that, it was like being in labor and not being able to deliver , just one constant cramp)
Rebound tenderness - Raises the possibility of colonic perforation and peritonitis

(You don’t want to know how they test for this.)

Causes: C difficile colitis results from a disruption of the normal bacterial flora of the colon, colonization with C difficile, and release of toxins that cause mucosal inflammation and damage.
The chief risk factor for the disease is prior exposure to antibiotics.
The most common antibiotics implicated in C difficile colitis include cephalosporins (especially second and third generation), ampicillin/amoxicillin, and clindamycin.
Less commonly implicated antibiotics are the macrolides (ie, erythromycin, clarithromycin, azithromycin) and other penicillins.
Agents occasionally reported to cause the disease include aminoglycosides, fluoroquinolones, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, metronidazole, chloramphenicol, tetracycline, imipenem, and meropenem.
Even brief exposure to any single antibiotic can cause C difficile colitis.
A prolonged antibiotic course or the use of 2 or more antibiotics increases the risk of disease.
Even antibiotics traditionally used to treat C difficile colitis have been shown to cause disease.
Other risk factors include the following:
Advanced age (>60 y)
Hospitalization (particularly sharing a hospital room with an infected patient, intensive care unit stays, and prolonged hospital stays

No comments: