Friday, August 22, 2008

Secret Blog

So I'm sitting in his office and there is a light knock at the door, come in I answer. In comes this beautiful East Indian doctor who I recognized right away. She says Nancy, do you remember me, I assisted Dr. Mason with your double mastectomies. Yes, I do remember you. She says , when I heard you were here I just had to come in to see your new boobs. So I lift my shirt and I show her. She says they are beautiful. What a great job Dr. Melissa did. Then she says why are you here, you look wonderful, you don't need this surgery.

Awww thanks, but I have type 2 diabetes and I can't control it with exercise and diet. I have tried. I have already lost 20 pounds and my diabetes is still running wild. So yes I do need this surgery.

She goes out and talks to Dr. Kuhn. They both come in. Dr. Kuhn says you are quite the celebrity here. He gives me his whole speech about the surgery. Doc, we've been here before remeber? Three days before I was going to do this I was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Yes, and you've done fantastic and you are still smiling. But you understand you will be surgically altered for the rest of your life? I stand up and I lift my shirt up and I say Doc, I have no nipples...I would say I'm already surgically altered for life, wouldn't you?
He laughs and says that is what everyone is talking about, your attitude. Upbeat and comical.

I told him Doc, I have my share of dark moments, but I have outlets for those moments and those outlets are my many friends and family. They pull me through. Like Shannon's boob cake...that was the best gift on that day, and Toni washing my hair, and Sarah calling and texting me to see how I am and Bruce always supporting me, and all the good stuff from the people at work and Brian and Candy coming over and bringing Sissy to see me. It's hard to dwell in sadness when I have so many great people who care about me. Not to mention my secret blog and all thos wonderful friends I have there. (this is my secret blog)

So he said, I think you will do just fine with this surgery and then he asked me to lie on the table. He was on one side and she was on the other. He lifts my shirt and looks at the other doctor...do you see what I mean, you can see her ribs where they end, most of my paitients you can't even feel their ribs. This will be an easy surgery for me I can see where everything is...

It felt good to hear him say that.

And now I have to get ready for work...

5 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

now that's the kind of posts i like to read...im so proud to know you nancy..your heart, your courage, your humor...so glad your my friend..

Allan said...

I am very glad that JS introduced us. Wishing you the best.

billy pilgrim said...

man, you got more tenacity than a pit bull. if i was as tough as you i wouldn't have to hide under the table when the lovely mrs myshkin comes home.

sageweb said...

Billy cracks me up.

Hope the surgery goes well. And way to tell the doctor..you are one tuff lady.

texlahoma said...

You seem to have a way of sneaking into peoples hearts.