Friday, July 11, 2008

No Baby Yet


No baby yet. She is taking her sweet time. Last night she was only dilated to 2. Travis promised me he would call me and send pictures as soon as she gets here.

These are poems I wrote for Travis years ago.

When you were very, very small
I used to dance with you cradled in my arms.
You were my precious son
and holding you close
love overwhelmed me.

I dreamed what kind of life you would lead.
What would be your first words, your first job...

(Remember cold snowy mornings I helped you
deliver news papers, your first job.
I loved the alone time with you.)

I dreamed of what kind of man you would be.
And if your life would take you far from me...
And now I am the one who's life has taken me far from you.

And I'd hold you even closer,
giving you an extra kiss,
an extra hug.
And whispering "I love you" one more time.

Knowing you were too small to remember.
But, praying you would never forget.

There are days when I long to hold you
in my arms and dance once again.
My love for you still overwhelms me.

As we both grow older
please never forget
what you were too small...
to remember.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes Travis when I watched you climb rocks
I didn't see the determination in your eyes-
only your clumsiness and ripped jeans
from the fall you took.

I was thinking torn jeans.
You were thinking mountains.

Sometime Travis when you rode your bike and
raced jumping curbs in playful danger,
I didn't see the bravery in your deed-
only the impending fall and injury.

I was thinking emergency room.
You were thinking power and speed.

Sometimes Travis when a grade was slipping
and I feared failure, I didn't see
the other grades that were super-
only the bad one.

I was thinking it was my failure.
You were just thinking.

Some twenty years have come and gone,
and you have grown to be a young man.
I can see the power of your dreams,
the height of your optimism and
the speed of your accomplishments.

Sometimes I just didn't see.

But I can see now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope when he holds his daughter for the first time he realizes (moment of enlightenment) how much I truly love him.

7 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

what beautiful words of love to your son..

Mouthy Girl said...

He will. He truly will. Keep us updated!

tsduff said...

The circle is never broken - in fact it is on-going each time another generation is added to the chain. I love to read the words you wrote long ago. You are so gifted with expression. GOod luck to the new family.

mckait said...

All mothers hope for that moment of enlightenment. At least I know that I do.

New babies... how exciting for you..I wish much health and happy all around.

billy pilgrim said...

i'm guessing that congratulations are in order by now.

congratulations granny.

maybe i'll start calling you the blackbird granny to go along with the yellowdog granny.

McRaven said...

Thanks everyone! Hey Leo I like that! :))))

Allan said...

Beautiful!